Quick tip for those Customers with Xfinity as their internet provider, that may be having issues with buffering, here’s how to have them disable the firewall on their Xfinity modem/router (if they have that option).
To disable the firewall, follow these step-by-step instructions:
1 Connect a laptop, computer or mobile device to your home Internet network and open a web browser. Go the Gateway’s Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1 and log in with the following username and password:
◦ Username: admin
◦ Password: password
◦ Note: You will be prompted to change your password the first time you access. Please change the password and, if required, log in to the Admin Tool with the new password.
2 On the Admin Tool homepage, click Gateway.
3 Under Gateway, click Firewall.
4 From there, you can do this for both IPv4 and IPv6.
5 After choosing either, you will see the following options:
◦ Maximum Security (High), which will block most applications except web browsing, email, iTunes and VPN.
◦ Typical Security (Medium), which allows access to most sites and services, but blocks all peer-to-peer applications.
◦ Minimum Security (Low), which enables all secure apps. This is the default setting when you first use your Wireless Gateway.
◦ Custom Security, which will allow you to block individual types of traffic, or disable your firewall entirely.
6 Select Custom Security
7 Select Disable Entire Firewall
8 Click Save Settings
I’ve found this fixes issues with performance.